Thursday, July 18, 2013

Romans 15

Romans 14: 20-23: Don't tear apart the work of God over what you eat. Remember, there is nothing wrong with these things in themselves. But it is wrong to eat anything if it makes another person stumble. Don't eat meat or drink wine or do anything else if it might cause another Christian to stumble. You may have the faith to believe that there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, but keep it between yourself and God. Blessed are those who do not condemn themselves by doing something they know is all right. But if people have doubts about whether they should eat something, they shouldn't eat it. They would be condemned for not acting in faith before God. If you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning.

(1) We may know that these things make no difference, but we cannot just go ahead and do them to please ourselves. We must be considerate of the doubts and fears of those who think these things are wrong.

  • NIV: We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
  • J. B. Philips translation of verse 1: We who have strong faith ought to shoulder the burden of the doubts and qualms of others, and not just to go our own sweet way.
  • Morris: “A genuine concern for the weak will mean an attempt to make them strong by leading them out of their irrational scruples so that they, too, can be strong.”
  • I shouldn't just be thinking about my own pleasure, "I'm going to eat this breaded pork tenderloin" when he comes over for dinner. Well, if it is going to stumble and offend him, if I am strong in the faith and eating pork tenderloin doesn't bother me spiritually, then I should eat it at home or in the restaurant when he's not with me. I should be considerate of his own feelings and opinions, even if he's wrong.
  • The strong in faith should not despise the weak by looking down on them but should bear with them patiently. The strong of faith should not do anything to please their own desires in these situations.
  • A key verse in chapter 14 is found in verse 15: And if another Christian is distressed by what you eat, you are not acting in love if you eat it. Don't let your eating ruin someone for whom Christ died." There are weak Christians who have erroneous opinions about doctrine and practice. The strong must bear with these weak Christians.
  • The strong are those who are well-grounded in Scripture and also in practice. The weak are not so well-grounded. Paradoxically, the weak often consider themselves stronger than those who are actually strong. And the truly strong, who trust in the Lord and His Word, see their own weaknesses much more readily than do the weak.

(2) We should please others. If we do what helps them, we will build them up in the Lord.

  • If one thinks he is strong, he places upon himself an obligation to the one he thinks is weak. Too often, the one who thinks he is strong is critical of the one he judges as weak and excludes him. The test for authentic strength, spiritually and morally, is the attitude of the one who is strong toward the one who is weak. If a Christian feels he has matured in the faith, has gone more deeply than others, the evidence of his maturity will not be criticism of the weaker brother. This would indicate immaturity. The evidence of maturity will be his love, concern, sympathy and care for the weaker brother.
  • But, there is a limit to pleasing others:
    • Galatians 1:10: Obviously, I'm not trying to be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ's servant.
  • Galatians 6:2: Share each other's troubles and problems, and in this way obey the law of Christ.
  • 1 Corinthians 9:20-22: When I am with the Jews, I become one of them so that I can bring them to Christ. When I am with those who follow the Jewish laws, I do the same, even though I am not subject to the law, so that I can bring them to Christ. When I am with the Gentiles who do not have the Jewish law, I fit in with them as much as I can. In this way, I gain their confidence and bring them to Christ. But I do not discard the law of God; I obey the law of Christ. When I am with those who are oppressed, I share their oppression so that I might bring them to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ.
  • 1 Corinthians 10:33: That is the plan I follow, too. I try to please everyone in everything I do. I don't just do what I like or what is best for me, but what is best for them so they may be saved.
  • 1 Thessalonians 5:14: Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy. Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone.
  • Philippians 2:3-4: Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing.
  • This goes against the whole tenor today - “I look out for number 1”. Start building up others and you will find yourself built up.

(3) For even Christ didn't please himself. As the Scriptures say, "Those who insult you are also insulting me."

  • Psalm 69:9: Passion for your house burns within me, so those who insult you are also insulting me.
  • Philippians 2:5-11: Your attitude should be the same that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God. He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form. And in human form he obediently humbled himself even further by dying a criminal's death on a cross. Because of this, God raised him up to the heights of heaven and gave him a name that is above every other name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

(4) Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. They give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God's promises.

  • John 5:39: "You search the Scriptures because you believe they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!
  • 1 Corinthians 10:11: All these events happened to them as examples for us. They were written down to warn us, who live at the time when this age is drawing to a close.
  • 2 Timothy 3:16: All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right.
  • Liberation from the law of Moses does not make the scriptures of the old covenant irrelevant. Much consolation and motivation for Christian living can be derived from the Old Testament.

(5) May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other -- each with the attitude of Christ Jesus toward the other.

(6) Then all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

(7) So accept each other just as Christ has accepted you; then God will be glorified.

  • Spurgeon on just as Christ also received you: “Christ did not receive us because we were perfect, because he could see no fault in us, or because he hoped to gain somewhat at our hands. Ah, no! But, in loving condescension covering our faults, and seeking our good, he welcomed us to his heart; so, in the same way, and with the same purpose, let us receive one another.
  • Verse 7 gives some pretty basic advice: accept one another as Christ accepted you, and work patiently with one another as Christ works with you. This will change our attitudes to other people. I am no better than they.
  • Although people come from all different backgrounds, careers, countries and families, we can still accept the differences and love each other as Christ loved us. To what degree are we to accept one another? We are to do it as Christ accepted us. A lot of times we may not want to accept others because they don't deserve it. But we don't deserve Christ accepting us either. Look at Peter who rebuked Jesus. Look at the rest of the disciples who again and again lacked faith and doubted. Look at Paul who actually persecuted the church.

(8) Remember that Christ came as a servant to the Jews to show that God is true to the promises he made to their ancestors.

  • Matthew 10:5-6: Jesus sent the twelve disciples out with these instructions: "Don't go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans, but only to the people of Israel -- God's lost sheep.
  • Matthew 15:24: Then he said to the woman, "I was sent only to help the people of Israel -- God's lost sheep -- not the Gentiles."

(9) And he came so the Gentiles might also give glory to God for his mercies to them. That is what the psalmist meant when he wrote: "I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing praises to your name."

  • Ephesians 2:15: By his death he ended the whole system of Jewish law that excluded the Gentiles. His purpose was to make peace between Jews and Gentiles by creating in himself one new person from the two groups.
  • Isaiah 42:6-7: "I, the LORD, have called you to demonstrate my righteousness. I will guard and support you, for I have given you to my people as the personal confirmation of my covenant with them. And you will be a light to guide all nations to me. You will open the eyes of the blind and free the captives from prison. You will release those who sit in dark dungeons.
  • Psalm 18:49: For this, O LORD, I will praise you among the nations; I will sing joyfully to your name. (Quoted from the (Septuagint).
  • 2 Samuel 22:50: For this, O LORD, I will praise you among the nations; I will sing joyfully to your name.
  • The point is that Christ truly received both Jew and Gentile to Himself, the former to keep His covenant and promise, the latter simply because He had mercy on them.
  • Lenski: "Already the Old Testament saw Jews and Gentiles joining in praise to the Lord. This JOINT PRAISE is the subject of the quotations, coming from one heart and one mouth, one unanimous, harmonious chorus. These passages are carefully selected and built up as a whole: 1) David brings Jehovah to the Gentiles; 2) They are told to praise God with his people, 10; 3) All nations and peoples, Jews and Gentiles, are to join together in praise of their own accord, 11; 4) And the cause of all this praise is 'the shoot of Jesse' the Jews' own, yet the Gentiles' ruler and hope.
  • Paul lists four verses (using the Septuagint version) as proofs that the Gentiles were part of God's plans even back in OT times.
  • Paul’s reasoning is that the Son of God became a Jew to confirm the promises to the patriarchs, in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. In support of this Paul strings together a series of passages from the Old Testament that show God’s plans to include the Gentiles in the praise of God. His first passage is from Psalm 18:49 where praise to God comes among the Gentiles. He then uses Deuteronomy 32:43, Moses’ song with the panoramic view of God’s eternal program. Then he works in the shortest psalm, Psalm 117, which is a call for Jew and Gentile to praise the Lord. And then he adds Isaiah 11:10 to show that even though the Messiah will spring from Jesse, he will rule over the nations. It was clearly God’s plan that Gentiles should come to faith in the Messiah.

(10) And in another place it is written, "Rejoice, O you Gentiles, along with his people, the Jews."

  • Deuteronomy 32:43 Septuagint translation: Rejoice, O ye nations, [with] his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, [and] to his people.
  • Isaiah 24:15: In eastern lands, give glory to the LORD. In the coastlands of the sea, praise the name of the LORD, the God of Israel. (Quoted from the (Septuagint).
  • Zechariah 8:20: "This is what the LORD Almighty says: People from nations and cities around the world will travel to Jerusalem.

(11) And yet again, "Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles; praise him, all you people of the earth."

  • Psalm 117:1: Praise the LORD, all you nations. Praise him, all you people of the earth. (Quoted from the (Septuagint).

(12) And the prophet Isaiah said, "The heir to David's throne will come, and he will rule over the Gentiles. They will place their hopes on him."

  • Isaiah 11:10: In that day the heir to David's throne will be a banner of salvation to all the world. The nations will rally to him, for the land where he lives will be a glorious place. (Quoted from the (Septuagint).
  • Matthew 2:2-6: "Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We have seen his star as it arose, and we have come to worship him." ... 'O Bethlehem of Judah, you are not just a lowly village in Judah, for a ruler will come from you who will be the shepherd for my people Israel.' "
  • Luke 1:32-33: He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David. And he will reign over Israel forever; his Kingdom will never end!"

(13) So I pray that God, who gives you hope, will keep you happy and full of peace as you believe in him. May you overflow with hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.

(14) I am fully convinced, dear brothers and sisters, that you are full of goodness. You know these things so well that you are able to teach others all about them.

  • A sign of spiritual is the ability to teach others.

(15) Even so, I have been bold enough to emphasize some of these points, knowing that all you need is this reminder from me. For I am, by God's grace,

(16) a special messenger from Christ Jesus to you Gentiles. I bring you the Good News and offer you up as a fragrant sacrifice to God so that you might be pure and pleasing to him by the Holy Spirit.

  • Acts 26:16-18: Now stand up! For I have appeared to you to appoint you as my servant and my witness. You are to tell the world about this experience and about other times I WILL appear to you. And I will protect you from both your own people and the Gentiles. Yes, I am going to send you to the Gentiles, to open their eyes so they may turn from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God. Then they will receive forgiveness for their sins and be given a place among God's people, who are set apart by faith in me.'

(17) So it is right for me to be enthusiastic about all Christ Jesus has done through me in my service to God.

(18) I dare not boast of anything else. I have brought the Gentiles to God by my message and by the way I lived before them.

(19) I have won them over by the miracles done through me as signs from God -- all by the power of God's Spirit. In this way, I have fully presented the Good News of Christ all the way from Jerusalem clear over into Illyricum.

  • Illyricum was on the Adriatic Sea not very far from Rome. Think of this! In three missionary journeys the Apostle Paul had accomplished this tremendous task: planting the Church, raising up leadership and leaving the Church in capable hands.
  • Illyricum covered most of the Eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea. It included Albania and what was formerly Yugoslavia.
  • In less than 25 years, the work of frontier missions in the entire eastern Mediterranean was finished.

(20) My ambition has always been to preach the Good News where the name of Christ has never been heard, rather than where a church has already been started by someone else.

(21) I have been following the plan spoken of in the Scriptures, where it says, "Those who have never been told about him will see, and those who have never heard of him will understand."

  • Isaiah 52:15: And he will again startle many nations. Kings will stand speechless in his presence. For they will see what they had not previously been told about; they will understand what they had not heard about.

(22) In fact, my visit to you has been delayed so long because I have been preaching in these places.

(23) But now I have finished my work in these regions, and after all these long years of waiting, I am eager to visit you.

(24) I am planning to go to Spain, and when I do, I will stop off in Rome. And after I have enjoyed your fellowship for a little while, you can send me on my way again.

  • Whether he ever went as far as Spain, we are not told; but we know from the book of Acts that he did get to Rome, was a prisoner there, probably was released and then later arrested again when he was a martyr of Jesus at the hands of the cruel Nero.
  • Tradition is that Paul did go to Spain between his first and second imprisonments in Rome.
  • Paul had these plans; yet things did not work out according to his plans. He did go to Rome, yet not as a missionary on his way to Spain. He went to Rome as a prisoner awaiting trial before Caesar, where he would preach the gospel on a different kind of frontier. We may have our plans, and He often changes them for us.
  • After his release from the Roman imprisonment at the end of the Book of Acts, we have reason to believe that Paul did in fact make it to Spain and preached the gospel there.
  • Parts of Spain (which in the ancient world included all the Iberian peninsula) had been occupied by Rome since about 200 B.C.; but it was only in Paul's lifetime that the Romans had fully organized the entire area.

(25) But before I come, I must go down to Jerusalem to take a gift to the Christians there.

  • Paul would stop in Corinth on his way to Jerusalem, bringing with him a collection from Christians in Macedonia and Achaia (Acts 20:1-3).
  • Acts 24:17: "After several years away, I returned to Jerusalem with money to aid my people and to offer sacrifices to God.
  • 1 Corinthians 16:1-4: Now about the money being collected for the Christians in Jerusalem: You should follow the same procedures I gave to the churches in Galatia. On every Lord's Day, each of you should put aside some amount of money in relation to what you have earned and save it for this offering. Don't wait until I get there and then try to collect it all at once. When I come I will write letters of recommendation for the messengers you choose to deliver your gift to Jerusalem. And if it seems appropriate for me also to go along, then we can travel together.
  • 2 Corinthians 8:1-4: Now I want to tell you, dear brothers and sisters, what God in his kindness has done for the churches in Macedonia. Though they have been going through much trouble and hard times, their wonderful joy and deep poverty have overflowed in rich generosity. For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford but far more. And they did it of their own free will. They begged us again and again for the gracious privilege of sharing in the gift for the Christians in Jerusalem.
  • 2 Corinthians 9:1-2: I really don't need to write to you about this gift for the Christians in Jerusalem. For I know how eager you are to help, and I have been boasting to our friends in Macedonia that you Christians in Greece were ready to send an offering a year ago. In fact, it was your enthusiasm that stirred up many of them to begin helping.

(26) For you see, the believers in Greece have eagerly taken up an offering for the Christians in Jerusalem, who are going through such hard times.

  • Paul was in Corinth when he wrote this. He had gone to Corinth and to the churches in Macedonia to collect an offering to take to the poor saints in Jerusalem to help them in their need. He had written to the church in Corinth to take up a collection before he got there., He don't want any offerings taken while he was there to take it to the church in Jerusalem. The church in Jerusalem had experienced some real financial problems.
  • The message he wanted to send to the Jerusalem church was this: "See how many Gentiles are now praising God because of the mission you began. They are thankful that your Messiah is also their Messiah.

(27) They were very glad to do this because they feel they owe a real debt to them. Since the Gentiles received the wonderful spiritual blessings of the Good News from the Jewish Christians, they feel the least they can do in return is help them financially.

(28) As soon as I have delivered this money and completed this good deed of theirs, I will come to see you on my way to Spain.

(29) And I am sure that when I come, Christ will give me a great blessing for you.

(30) Dear brothers and sisters, I urge you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Do this because of your love for me, given to you by the Holy Spirit.

  • The ancient Greek word translated join me in my struggle here in the NLT or strive together in the KJV is sunagonizomai - literally meaning, “agonize together.” To emphasize the importance and intensity, Paul repeats the word twice: sunagonizomai sunagonizomai.

(31) Pray that I will be rescued from those in Judea who refuse to obey God. Pray also that the Christians there will be willing to accept the donation I am bringing them.

  • Paul had some apprehension about this because he had been warned by Agabus the prophet in Miletus that the Jews, the unbelieving Jews in Jerusalem, were going to trap him and deliver him over to the Gentiles.
    • Acts 21:11: When he visited us, he took Paul's belt and bound his own feet and hands with it. Then he said, "The Holy Spirit declares, 'So shall the owner of this belt be bound by the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem and turned over to the Romans.'"
  • Paul feared that the church leaders in Jerusalem might turn up their noses at gifts from Gentiles - pride.

(32) Then, by the will of God, I will be able to come to you with a happy heart, and we will be an encouragement to each other.

  • He did come to Rome after he spent two years patiently in jail at Caesarea, then endured a shipwreck at Malta, and then finally arrived in Rome - in chains (Acts 28:15-31). Paul knew God’s peace down in a prison, in chains or in shipwreck. In Rome he could write in 2 Timothy 4:6-8: As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me -- the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return.
  • While Paul had not expected to arrive in Rome in chains, he was able to say in Philippians 1:12, And I want you to know, dear brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News.

(33) And now may God, who gives us his peace, be with you all. Amen.

NOTES:

About Me

My photo
Bible studies are held in Oakbay subdivision in Noblesville, Indiana. In-person Sunday studies have been eliminated because of COVID-19 concerns. Wednesday studies at 7:00 pm led by Don Terry via Zoom - presently studying the Book of Acts from a dispensationalist viewpoint. Bi-monthly Wednesday’s women’s studies at 7:00 pm led by Carolyn Terry via Zoom - presently studying Paul’s second letter to Timothy - and his last writing. You can see several of our present and past studies but we covered many other subjects before starting this blog. The goal of these studies is to bring each of us to know Christ better (epignosis) and then to “press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” as mentioned by Paul in Philippians 3:14 and to hear Jesus’ “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”. Dedicated to the memory of Don & Carolyn Terry’s daughter, DJ (Dorothy Jean) Terry, who went to be with the Lord Jesus Christ in 1999 at 20 years old.